1. Knocked Up
This has been pretty much my most anticipated movie of the year (right ahead of Transfomers), so I was glad J.G. and I were able to see it on opening weekend. And it pretty much lived up to my expectations, although I won't really know if it's as good or better than 40 Year Old Virgin until it's on HBO every day and I'll see if I feel like watching at least 5 minutes of it every time it's on. Seth Rogen was one of my favorite cast members way back on Freaks & Geeks, and in a recent interview Judd Apatow even pointed out one of my favorite episodes (the one where he dates "tuba girl") as the one that convinced him that Rogen could carry a movie. It ran a little long for a comedy, and probably could've been trimmed down a bit (for instance: one laugh line featuring the word "vagina" would've been funnier than 4 or 5), but it also allowed for some interesting divergences that weren't really necessary to the plot but ended up being my favorite stuff: the shit in Las Vegas with the mushrooms and the chairs in the hotel room, and the bit with the doorman at the club. And as funny as some of the E! channel stuff was (Kristen Wiig has been my favorite part of SNL lately, and her bit part is possibly the funniest part in the whole movie), I was a little annoyed by the 4th wall-busting move of having James Franco and Steve Carrell cameo as themselves, when practically every other Apatow repertory player was already in the movie in character.

2. The Break-Up
After watching a great comedy that featured some uncomfortably realistic bickering and relationship problems, it was pretty easy to see exactly where this movie fails. There are just unforgiveably long stretches of conflict and arguing that never really get to a laugh, or even seem to be trying for one. Vince Vaughn usually seems effortlessly funny, and when he's interacting with someone other than Jennifer Aniston in this (especially the video game scene), he is. But for the most part this fell flat, and I barely felt compelled to keep paying attention until the lame ending.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Are you serious? The most anticipated movie of the year?! Like for real?

I only saw a few trailers and maybe I need to see the complete movie to make judgment, but this movie sincerely looks retarded, horribly sexist and only reinforces antiquated stereotypes about men. I mean I guess it's good he tries to be there, or whatever, but still, I totally thought this was going to be on DVD after 1 month.
 
Well, I'm not exactly a movie buff, so that's not terribly high praise (my other big anticipated movies this year have been Transformers and 300).

I don't know how much stuff by this movie's cast and crew you've seen before (40 Year Old Virgin, Freaks & Geeks, Undeclared), but if you liked any of those, you should probably give Knocked Up a chance. The comedy is at times broad, but it's got more heart and character development than the kind of tired 'battle of the sexes' comedy that you're maybe assuming this to be. Maybe as an expectant father right now you're a little sensitive to the stereotype of men who get dragged grudgingly into parenthood, but I think this movie does a good job of telling a story about unexpected pregnancy that's actually really sweet and optimistic while also kind of brutally honest and crass and funny.
 
Knocked up was hilarious!! True it was abit long, but sometimes i was laughing so hard I couldnt even hear the next line of the movie...Still kinda mad Tyrese is in Transformers...its a lot of hype to live up to...im straaight 80's all day so if Soundwave isnt in it with a fucked up voice...or if Megatron doesnt have the biggest gun EVER!!! im'ma be pissed...p.s. Super Bad looks funny as hell

DRAG
 
Post a Comment