I'd been hearing for a while that Nicole Kidman was in Baltimore filming a movie, and on Thursday I got to see some of The Visiting, an Invasion of the Body Snatchers remake, being shot downtown. I was down there for a quick trip to the bank, and they had set up shop on the 100 block of East Baltimore Street. It kind of held me up for a few minutes, which was a little aggravating since I was afraid of getting a parking ticket (I got back to my car just as a meter maid was walking by, so I really dodged a bullet). I didn't see Kidman anywhere, but I did see a scene get shot that involved a lot of extras walking down the street with semi-futuristic headsets, and then a small group of people running/chasing down the street. According to the IMDB page and the message board on there, the movie takes place in Washington, but half it's being shot in Baltimore, and they've already shot stuff around the Hopkins campus, so I'm wondering if they're just going to pretend those scenes are D.C.? Supposedly they'll be shooting around Baltimore until the week before Christmas. It was kinda exciting, since it's not every day that I see a shooting crew around here (Homicide: Life On The Street used to shoot in my neighborhood all the time, but The Wire all takes place on the West side, and I live on the East side).

Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

It's pretty common for movies set in DC to be half-shot in Baltimore: Meteor Man, Enemy of the State, Head of State. I guess it's cheaper to film in B-More. It's funny - they don't even try to hide it, since all those movies have really recognizable Baltimore landmarks. My old block was Chris Rock's ghetto neighborhood in Head of State.
 
oh yeah, I remember hearing about Head of State being shot here. I understand it being cheaper, but then why still shoot half the movie in D.C.? I dunno, maybe there's some particular kinds of scenes that it's better to cut corners on shooting locations for.
 
Update: yesterday on TRL they did a segment on the set of The Visiting in downtown Bmore, and interviewed Nicole Kidman and Q-Tip. Apparently Q-Tip has a big role in the movie, despite not being listed at all on the IMDB page.
 
Post a Comment