Stylus's 05 singles list went up in its entirity today, for which I voted and wrote a blurb for #16, "Trapped In The Closet". A lot of the list is stuff I've never heard or was lukewarm on, but I was surprised by how in sync I was with the top 10, which includes 6 songs I voted for (out of a total 11 I voted for that made the top 50, plus 2 more that were in my top 100). Most of them aren't real surprising in and of myself, except for the pleasant shock of the high placement of My Chemical Romance. "Signs" was nice to see up there, considering it wasn't really that big of a hit. There's also a gigantic and frequently batshit ILM thread about the list.

Note: In light of the end of Stylus in 2007, I decided to archive the text of all my reviews for the site on this blog for posterity, since I don't what the future holds for the Stylus domain:

16. R. Kelly – Trapped In The Closet

If the idea of a continuous multi-song suite that has thus far expanded over 12 parts and 40 minutes appearing on a singles list bugs you, then you can consider this entry representative for Chapter 1. After all, it got the most radio and video-play of all the story's chapters, and remains one of its most cohesive and legitimately suspenseful. But if you have a problem with R.'s brilliant and frequently hilarious musical soap opera being praised at all, then that's where you're out of luck, because no one else at his level of fame came up with such a ballsy idea this year, and actually carried it out to such unpredictable extremes.
[Al Shipley]

Labels: , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Post a Comment