TV Diary

1. The Simpsons
It's been at least half a decade since I anticipated new Simpsons episodes or watched them regularly, and a few times I've scoffed at Hillary's assertions that it's still worth watching. But I have to admit, lately I've been catching a few new ones and watching reruns from more recent seasons, and I've actually been laughing. So it's still good, if not great, sometimes, I concede. Last week's Sideshow Bob episode was pretty good, I really never get tired of him. It also contained the most venemous Family Guy diss they've done to date. And an American Dad diss to boot! (The joke is explained here if you didn't see it.)

2. Celebrity Autobiography: In Their Own Words
A new show on Bravo in which comedians read excerpts from celeb autobios to a laughing and hooting and hollering audience. It's pretty nuts, and sometimes they do pretty crazy things with the premise, like having different people read the lines of two celebrities back and forth, like Burt Reynolds and Loni Anderson. And there was a really weird one where they juxtaposed Tommy Lee's Tommyland with a book by Stallone about muscle development. Really hilarious stuff.

3. Bones
J.G. watches this all the time, but I think it's kind of boring compared to House, which it comes on right before. But last week's Christmas episode was kind of inspired just because of the sudden celebrity cameo, which consisted of one character saying "you guys might recognize my dad, but don't make a big deal about it," and then a few scenes later, fucking Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top showing up as her dad for a breif scene with no dialogue. They never explicitly refer to him as the guy from ZZ Top or anything, but according to IMDB it really was him. I'm not sure if that's the definition of a classy cameo, or just a really weird subtle one.

4. Saturday Night Live
This past weekend's episode was alright, Jack Black was better than the first time he hosted, especially the pointing sketch. Is it just me or are they pushing Weekend Update further and further back in the show, because they know how many people wait to see it and then turn the show off after that? "Lazy Sunday," the weird digital short where Chris Parnell and Andy Samberg rapped about cupcakes and the Chronicles of Narnia was amazing, though. Chris Parnell is my favorite white rapper of all time.

Labels: , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

I saw SNL this past Saturday... It wasn't too bad... but what was the deal with that 2nd skit at the pizza place with all the wind... Jesus that was painful. -mat
 
I missed the first 20-30 minutes so I didn't see that one.
 
That Sideshow Bob episode was probably my favorite Simpsons in years. Family Guy irks me, so I really loved that gag.
 
Post a Comment