Last night I went to the Ottobar for Lake Trout's CD release party. But I was a little more excited to see the opening band, Apollo Sunshine, who they played with last time I saw them back in April, and they really impressed me at that show. I bought a live CD from them after the show but had been looking and hadn't been able to find a copy of their first album ever since. But they just released their 2nd album this week, so I was able to buy that last night. They really might be the best live rock band I've seen all year. And they drove all the way down from Boston for the show, and got stuck on the NJ Turnpike, so they were in the car something like 10 hours before playing, and still put on an amazing show. I won't got into a lot of detail about them right now, but I'm probably going to try to review the album somewhere and if it's as good as their live show it's going to be a pretty gushing review.

Lake Trout were alright. My review of the new album wasn't super positive but I'm still a big fan of the band and I was pretty excited to get a promo 6 weeks before the release. It was cool to hear the new songs live now that I know them pretty well. I've been going to their shows for over 6 years now, and I get into a lot of their history in the review, but it's always been an up and down ride, some great shows, some boring ones. The highlights of the recent shows have been all the loud, fast instrumentals that aren't on the new album. At one point it was supposed to be a double album, with a 2nd disc of instrumentals, but that plan got scrapped. It appears that a limited edition 2CD version is being released in the U.K. in October, I'm hoping that's what I think it is and that I can order a copy somewhere.

Labels: , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

yeah, the record might take some time to grow on me, but I already like the highlights from the live show like "Phyliss" and "Lord".
 
Post a Comment